Thursday, January 26, 2012

SELF SPACE (personal bubbles) LESSON

Kindergarteners love taking up space and running around, but they don't always pay attention to how they are moving or what is around them. This leads to bonks on the head and tears. So today we talked about our self space or our Kinespheres. I first took them through a silent warm up. They had to do everything I was doing but stay silent. This really got the focused. (last time they were not focused and very loud so I wanted to really get their attention this time.)

We learned how our self space or our kinespheres are like big bubbles around us and if we are too close to things they might POP! Now we can shrink out bubble or we can make our bubble very big! We explored with these concepts a lot in our bubbles. We would grow, shrink, twist, turn and balance! We also played some fun shape games, to help us remember our round, pin-like and bent shapes. We also worked on their memory and attention to detail with their body parts.

For the end of class to transfer back into their normal class I had the students line up in a boy line and a girl line. I brought in my special dinosaur friend REX and they practiced one at a time leaping as high as they could over him. They were conveniently placed right where they had taken off their shoes and socks and were told to quietly put their shoes and socks back on. To my surprise they silently put everything back on and graciously thanked me!


What I learned most about today is that the kids just want to have fun! They want you to play with them while they learn. The kids have remembered everything I have taught them and their creativity so far has been improving every time. I am so proud of these little kids. Next week we will start applying all that we have learned into dancing a story! I am excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment