Wednesday, February 1, 2012

MOVE KIDS MOVE!

Today we had a fun class on locomotion steps like walking running skipping jumping hopping sliding leaping etc. I thought that since we had the HUGE gym space that it would be a way fun idea to let them MOVE. I don't know what it is but whenever we are in the big space the kids have a hard time behaving. After a quick silent warm up and a skip circle around the gym we attempted to form lines. After the lesson I decided that it would have been more effective to just call out their groups and have them explore across the floor rather than challenging them to keep their lines.

After exploring everything I took each line and had them create a certain shape in the corner. I gave them instructions. They at first were not very creative and followed the leader. I asked them to be the most creative person and that sure got their attention. I would ask the class about their shapes and pathways and what they were doing. The kids loved the guessing game.

At the end I asked them to as quietly as they could put their shoes and socks back on and line up when they were ready. I was blown away by how quiet they were!!!

I have learned a lot from these little youngsters. One thing I have been wanting to do is group work but I know that kindergarteners don't work too well in groups so I have really been avoiding that. We are going to dance a wonderful story that the class made up when they get back from a short break and I am excited for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment